If a picture paints a thousand words

This blog is a place for me to work on my photography. My goal is to submit a new picture every day and to get better as the moments go by. I take all pictures with my digital camera. I worked for years with a 35 mm minolta, and this is a learning experience for me. I am afraid that I got lazy and allowed the camera to choose most of the settings for me. This is my journey of learning how to shoot a camera that is not in a program mode. It is harder than I ever imagined. That makes this challenge both a new experience and a joy for me.

Friday, November 12, 2010

Great-Grandma's Bracelet - Macro Friday

Today, I am blogging for Macro Friday.  Check out all the other bloggers who participate over at 
Blogging from Bolivia  Come on over and join us! 
My Great-Grandmother was alive until I was well into my adult life.  She was a spunky woman who taught me a lot.  One of the few things that I inherited from her was this simple (I love the detail work) Ivory bracelet.  It is well over 50 years old now.  I know at one time, it was beautiful.  Someday, I would like to have a pendant made from the pieces.  I know they don't make jewelry out of ivory anymore, but this was made long before that practice was stopped.  I think it is beautiful in it's own way.



I especially like the piece that looks like a heart.  The detail is amazing to me.  Each of those little round links are smaller than a child's tiny pinky fingernail.  It is a very petite and detailed bracelet.

7 comments:

  1. it is beautiful, what a wonderful piece and the story behind it makes it even more special. It looks so detailed, I love how you have captured it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to see it ON a wrist. I bet, with the right outfit, it could be quite unique and striking without converting it. What a conversation piece. How does it clasp... is it broken? It looks like it is curved and made for a wrist - hanging from a pendant, it might look odd. Wear it with something black and I bet you will have a lot of fun that day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautiful and how amazing that you still have this piece and I love the story behind it. I too would love to see it on. What a special treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was my Great Grandmothers and the intricate Ivory pieces have long since broken. I am going to take it to a jeweler and see what the cost would be to have it made back into a bracelet. I am not sure if it can be done and still look amazing, but it is worth checking into.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous! What a nice piece to have as a memento. My great-grandmother lived long enough to meet all of my kids. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How beautiful! What a nice family heirloom :)

    ReplyDelete