If a picture paints a thousand words

This blog is a place for me to work on my photography. My goal is to submit a new picture every day and to get better as the moments go by. I take all pictures with my digital camera. I worked for years with a 35 mm minolta, and this is a learning experience for me. I am afraid that I got lazy and allowed the camera to choose most of the settings for me. This is my journey of learning how to shoot a camera that is not in a program mode. It is harder than I ever imagined. That makes this challenge both a new experience and a joy for me.

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Majestic Saguaro - Day 150

These are examples of the Saguaro Cactus.  They are so interesting.  I am hoping to get pictures of some of the blossoms in the spring.  I grew up with these all around my neighborhood, and have even stepped on more than my share of cactus spines.  They are totally unique to this part of the world.


I love the way the many arms are always reaching up.


As you get closer, you can see the holes in the different locations.  These are usually drilled by a woodpecker.   Believe it or not, these cacti store water in the trucks and the birds drill to get to the water.  Then, smaller birds use the holes as nests for their young.


These are plants that are very unique to the southern deserts.  I do love them, and although I don't live in the desert anymore, there is a part of me that will always acknowledge these towering desert giants, as part of home. 

6 comments:

  1. It is humbling how something that looks so forbidding to us is the source of life for other creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fascinating. I was showing my daughter and she said she already knew this from school. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, those kids are way too smart! Seriously, I grew up with these in my back yard. I loved to go hiking through the desert. I just don't like the snakes, but this time of year, the hike was amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first time I saw a cactus like this (not at the Zoo), I squealed because I was so happy. They are so awesome. (Canadian much? haha)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Patty Ann,
    I loved seeing the cactus and I wanted to tell you that last March I went to a sorority sister reunion in Tuscon. I'd never been to AZ and when we were at the airport and I turned around and saw the cactus for the very first time I was thrilled. Then we went to the golf course and I saw all the holes and i thought they were made from golf balls on the course being hit into the cactus. Of course my friend laughed at me :)

    ReplyDelete