If a picture paints a thousand words

This blog is a place for me to work on my photography. My goal is to submit a new picture every day and to get better as the moments go by. I take all pictures with my digital camera. I worked for years with a 35 mm minolta, and this is a learning experience for me. I am afraid that I got lazy and allowed the camera to choose most of the settings for me. This is my journey of learning how to shoot a camera that is not in a program mode. It is harder than I ever imagined. That makes this challenge both a new experience and a joy for me.

Monday, October 4, 2010

Nostalgia Sunday Creative- Day 31

The Nostalgia of Youth - Day 31
The Sunday Creative over at Madeline Bea's has a challenge this week.  The current challenge is "Nostalgia".
For me, nostalgia is about memories.  It is about the happy times of childhood.  
When I was a young girl, I used to go to grandma's house for part of every summer.  It was a time I cherished.  Grandma would help me learn to do all kinds of things.  One summer, she taught me how to knit and crochet.  I have not done it in years, but this weekend, I decided to re-teach myself.  In the process, my girls decided they really wanted to learn to do this too.  


First, I had to buy a book because I could not remember how to do any of it.  
I also had to buy hooks, yarn, and patterns.


Then, we had to learn to hold the hooks and work them through the yarn.



We had to keep focused on our task.


And pay close attention to the stitches.  


And just keep going, even when the going was a little difficult!

So, together, we sat and worked the threads.  
I couldn't help but feel nostalgia for the years 
I spent learning at my grandmother's knee. 
 What a wonderful opportunity to share the stories of childhood with my girls.  

5 comments:

  1. I love the concentration, what a lovely thing to learn and a great story for the prompt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, it's too bad my daughter and I never caught on. I remember sitting and doing it with my grandma, I've just never really made anything more than a scarf.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whenever I attempt to teach my niece to knit, I remember my mother teaching me, and sigh, I do get nostalgic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whenever I crochet I think of my grandma too. I picked it up again a few years ago after a long hiatus. I love the generational connection of crocheting and knitting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I admire anyone who can crochet. I can knit. And I want to learn to crochet. I just haven't been able to figure it out yet. My dad taught me how to knit.

    Stopping by from MMB.

    ReplyDelete