If a picture paints a thousand words

This blog is a place for me to work on my photography. My goal is to submit a new picture every day and to get better as the moments go by. I take all pictures with my digital camera. I worked for years with a 35 mm minolta, and this is a learning experience for me. I am afraid that I got lazy and allowed the camera to choose most of the settings for me. This is my journey of learning how to shoot a camera that is not in a program mode. It is harder than I ever imagined. That makes this challenge both a new experience and a joy for me.

Friday, September 10, 2010

Weathered with Time - Day 8

Today, I wanted to play a little with the evening light.  It was very dusk outside.  No real lighting.  This is the first weathered picture that I took.  It is a half oak barrel that we use for plants. 


This barrel stands up year after year in all kinds of weather.  I have seven of them, and they are all weathered and worn.  I think they look just perfect!  
The next picture is of a "church" for the birds.  It is a birdhouse that is built to resemble one of the churches in town.  I love it.  

The first picture was taken with a flash so that you could see the detail in the old weathered house.  If you  look at this "church" closely, you will see that the door is permanently closed, but the windows are open.  When I see this I smile and remember that "When God closes a door, somewhere He opens a window".  Every spring, the birds fly in through the windows and build a nest. 
The second picture I took without a flash and adjusted it to black and white.  


This is my favorite.  I love the shadows and the contrasts.  

1 comment:

  1. I always find silhouettes interesting and I love church steeples. How fun it would be to catch a birds head peeping out of one of the holes! I think I will experiment with silhouettes and contrasts. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete